Call for Entries: Put your best Canadian jobsite photos forward
By Adam FreillConstruction
On-Site’s Canadian Construction Photo Contest is back, and we want to put a spotlight on the best of your work from the past year.
The sixth edition of On-Site’s Canadian Construction Photo Contest is now underway. If you snapped a great shot on a Canadian construction site this past year (January 1, 2023 to end of the year), we are inviting you to send it our way as an entry for this year’s contest so that we can share it industry-wide.
Hosted by On-Site magazine, the competition is our annual opportunity to put a spotlight your photography prowess, as well as the fantastic work that you and your teams are doing right across Canada.
Open to amateur and professional photographers alike, we want to see your aerial shots of work sites, close-ups of colleagues at work, wide shots of heavy equipment in the early light of dawn or driving into the sunset, photos of teams getting together for jobsite discussions, or any other cool images showcasing the work that you and your company have tackled this year. If you spotted something picture-worthy, and captured it as a high-resolution image, we want to see it.
And it’s not too late to take those pictures. Aspiring photographers have until the end of December to shoot qualifying photos, and until early January to send them in for consideration. So check your photo libraries and (safely) pull out your cameras on your sites. You are only limited by your imagination (and a few tiny house rules).
The winning pictures will be featured in On-Site, both in print and online — meaning our nationwide readership will get a glimpse into this year’s top projects through the lens of your camera (or phone). A charitable donation will also be made in the name of the winning photographer (or the submitting company).
Submissions for this year’s photo contest will close on January 12, 2024, with winners being announced in the February issue of On-Site.
Here are the rules, as well as some guidelines and tips to enter:
- Keep photos below 20MB as email attachments. Please use file hosting services such as Dropbox or WeTransfer for larger images;
- Make sure to include the name of the photographer and your company, so we can give credit where it’s due;
- Give us the details! The more the better. We want to know the location, as well as when the photo was taken. Any additional information about the project, such as the size of the crew, the scope and budget of the job, and at what stage of the project the shot was taken will help us put the photo into context;
- The contest is designed to highlight this year in Canadian construction so please limit your submissions to photos taken in 2023 (January 1 – December 31, 2023) on, above, or below Canadian soil;
- Only enter photos that you own, or have the express permission of the photographer to use;
- The submitter must be willing to grant On-Site non-exclusive rights to reproduce the photos in print and online; and
- We ask individuals to limit their submissions to a maximum of three (3) photos, and those submitting on behalf of companies to limit their submissions to a maximum of eight (8) photos.
The On-Site team will select the winning pictures based on the following criteria: composition, originality and intent, quality, lighting and colour. We encourage entrants to look back to our finalists in 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018 for a clearer idea of what we are looking for.
Most importantly, we want to see the construction industry from your perspective. Whether it’s a sunrise shot of site progress from the cab of your dozer or excavator, an aerial view of a billion-dollar project, an action shot of work being done (sparks, dust and all) or a once-in-a-lifetime shot from a unique or remote jobsite, capture the moment and share it our way. Amateurs and professionals alike are encouraged to participate… and perhaps win!
Please direct any questions to On-Site’s editor, Adam Freill.