Remains of toppled crane removed in Kelowna, B.C., most evacuations lifted
By The Canadian PressHealth & Safety
KELOWNA, B.C.—Evacuation orders have been lifted for all but one building in Kelowna, B.C., as crews have dismantled what remained of a crane that collapsed, killing five people.
A statement issued by Central Okanagan Emergency Operations says residents and businesses at six addresses can return.
It says site engineers and utility inspectors have completed infrastructure and safety inspections but property owners are urged to do their own checks to ensure customers and residents are safe as they go back.
The statement says another building directly across the lane from the construction site where the crane fell remains on evacuation order as health and safety issues are resolved.
Four construction workers died when the arm of a crane fell about 25 storeys last week as it was being dismantled, while a fifth man was killed when the wreckage crushed part of a neighbouring building where he was working.
The BC Coroners Service, RCMP and WorkSafeBC, the provincial safety agency for workers, are each conducting investigations into those deaths. Mission Group, the developer behind the residential construction project, said Monday authorities are still probing the site to determine the cause of the crane failure.