Green light given $1B TOD Quartier project
December 10, 2015 by STAFF REPORT
A new $1 billion community development for Brossard, Quebec has been given the green light to take to public consultations..
The vast real estate project will combine residential, commercial/recreational tourism and office space, and can accommodate a tramway station (LRT), two hotels and a convention center. Pedestrian and cyclist access will be a key priority. The residential component will account for about 67 per cent of the project (about half the units will be rentals, the other half will be condos).
Located on the northwest corner of Highways 10 and 30, in municipality just east of Montreal, the project will create the second generation of transit oriented development: when exiting the train or bus, the people will no longer have to navigate their way through a large parking lot; they will be immersed instead in a real living environment, says Serge Goulet, President of Devimco Immobilier.
Once completed, the TOD project will include the following:
- Nearly 2,000 residential units, including condominiums and rental units
- 500,000 square feet of office space
- 500,000 square feet of commercial and recreational tourism space, including a convention center with a capacity of 800 people for conferences, seminars and conventions, as well as local, regional and national cultural events;
- Two hotels with 150 rooms each;
- A public transportation and future LRT-type tramway station;
- Nearly 200,000 square feet of public space including a central park, a pedestrian walkway and public art.
To address traffic needs, the City of Brossard will finalize the extension of Quartier Boulevard by building a viaduct (overpass) over Highway 10. It should be operational in late 2017 and will include a covered pedestrian walkway and bike path.
Lapinière Boulevard will be extended within the project and will loop to reach Quartier Boulevard north of the project. On both sides, businesses will set up shop and terraces will add to the site’s dynamism and vitality.
The City is responsible for the completion of the development of the central park and the extension of Lapinière Street, no later than December 31, 2017, and Place de la Gare, before December 1, 2022.
Devimco Immobilier will be giving to the City, prior to the completion of the construction, rights for central park, Lapinière Boulevard, the public transport station and other plots.
Print this page