EllisDon selected for Seneca College’s King Campus Expansion
By On-Site MagazineConstruction Infrastructure LEED EllisDon expansion Seneca College
EllisDon has been selected as the preferred proponent to design, build and finance Seneca College’s King Campus Expansion.
Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Seneca selected EllisDon after extensive evaluations following an open, fair and competitive request-for-proposals process that began in August 2015.
“With today’s announcement, we move one important step closer to the Seneca College King Campus expansion. Our government is proud to support this project, which will bring innovative programs and additional student services to King City and increase access to high-quality postsecondary education in Ontario,” said Deb Matthews, Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development.
The EllisDon Corporation team includes:
- Developer: EllisDon Corporation
- Constructor: EllisDon Design Build Inc.
- Architect: MJM Architects & Montgomery Sisam Architects Inc.
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
Key project highlights include:
- approximately 25 new classrooms, computer labs, specialty labs for training health-care practitioners, a library, learning commons and student study space
- a new student area with a multi-purpose athletic and recreation space, gymnasium, fitness centre, informal study areas and event spaces, partially funded by the Seneca Student Federation and the Student Athletic Association
The project will target LEED Gold in the Canada Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED®) rating system.
IO and Seneca will now work to finalize contract details with EllisDon. The project is expected to reach commercial close and financial close in August 2016, which will mean that relevant contracts have been signed and a financing rate has been set. The contract cost will be announced publicly following financial close and construction is scheduled to begin shortly thereafter.
David Agnew, President, Seneca College
“We’re delighted to be moving forward on the expansion of Seneca’s King Campus. The new and revitalized space will allow us to accommodate the growing demand for postsecondary education in the York Region. It will also ensure that our students have access to state-of-the-art facilities as they study in innovative programs that address every stage of life from early childhood education to gerontology,” said David Agnew, President, Seneca College.
- IO and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development are working with Seneca to procure and deliver the King Campus Expansion project.
- Seneca’s King Campus is home to approximately 3,500 full-time students. Once this expansion is complete, the King Campus will provide teaching and learning opportunities for approximately 5,000 full-time students.
- IO is delivering this project through its Alternative Financing and Procurement model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects.
- The Seneca expansion is one of three postsecondary education projects completed or currently being managed by IO.