Companies prequalified for West Park Healthcare Centre Development project
By On-Site MagazineInfrastructure hospital infrastructure Infrastructure Ontario project
Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and West Park Healthcare Centre (WPHC) have announced three teams prequalified to design, build, finance and maintain the facility’s hospital development project in Toronto.
Based on an open, competitive request for qualifications process that began in September 2016, the following three teams have been prequalified and will be invited to respond to a request for proposals, expected to be issued in spring 2017:
- EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare
- Plenary PCL Partnership
- West Park Healthcare Partnership
Targeting LEED Silver in the Canada Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) rating system, the project will see the construction of a new hospital facility totalling approximately 730,000 square feet. Other project features include:
- 314 beds (20 per cent increase) with 80 per cent of beds in single-patient rooms
- Significant increase in outpatient care space to accommodate current and new services such as geriatric clinics and day hospital, and satellite hemodialysis
- Demolition of three existing hospital buildings – Main, Ruddy and Gage – as well as the existing maintenance building
- New campus entrance that will involve new public and private roads within the campus
- Extension of utility services and the construction of additional parking spaces
- Increasing the amount of green space with landscaping for outdoor therapy and therapeutic gardens
WPHC helps patients get their lives back by providing inpatient, outpatient and outreach services in specialized rehabilitative and complex care as a result of lung disease, amputation, stroke, traumatic musculoskeletal injuries and other life-altering and life-long injuries and illnesses. The redevelopment will transform West Park’s 27-acre site into an integrated campus of care, enabling the hospital to evolve its rehabilitative medicine to meet Ontario’s future health care needs.
- IO and WPHC are working with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care on the development of the hospital, which will see the hospital remain publicly owned, controlled and accountable.
- The West Park Healthcare Centre project is one of 20 health-care projects currently being managed by IO.
- This project is being delivered using IO’s Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects. Projects that are delivered using IO’s Alternative Financing and Procurement model have a track record of being 96 per cent on budget to date.
- Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province’s history. To learn more about what’s happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON
Print this page