Top 5 Canadian contractors with 50 or less employees
By Patrick CallanSkills Development
1. Walsh Canada
- Opened in Canada in 2010
- 46 employees, Vaughan, Ont.
- Building construction 40 per cent, engineering (heavy) construction 60 per cent
- Works in: commercial, industrial and institutional buildings; transportation, sewage engineering and waterworks engineering construction, contract management, design/build, general contracting
- $145 million in 2012
2. Metro-Can Construction Ltd.
- Opened in 1964
- 50 employees, Surrey B.C.
- 70 per cent residential, 30 per cent non-residential
- Works in; commercial buildings; multi-unit; design/build, general contracting; concrete, formwork, rebar
- $100 million in 2012
Last year’s winner of the On-Site top contractor with 50 employees or less competition, Metro-Can is a top 50 general contractor in Canada and among the top five in British Columbia. Metro-Can supports disadvantaged families and life enhancement programs. It has completed more than 280 projects in commercial, high rise/low rise residential, recreational and light/heavy industrial projects. www.metrocanconstruction.com
3.Harbridge and Cross Ltd.
- Opened in 1967
- 50 employees, Concord, Ont.
- 95 per cent non-residential, 5 per cent construction management
- Works in; commercial, industrial and institutional buildings; contract management, design/build, general contracting
- $73 million in 2012
Harbridge and Cross Ltd. has played an important role in the development of Toronto and other communities in Ontario through its involvement in projects of all sizes. It donates to a number of hospitals and has built strong relationships with the Ford Motor Company, Chrysler Canada, Zellers, The Bay, Ontario Power Generation, University of Toronto, Aventis Pasteur and many other companies. www.harbridgeandcross.com
4. Grascan Construction Ltd.
- Opened in 1987
- 50 employees, Toronto, Ont.
- 100 per cent engineering (heavy) construction
- Works in; bridges, road building; transportation, sewage engineering and waterworks construction; general contracting; concrete, formwork, rebar
- $67.8 million
Grascan Construction Ltd. is a heavy civil and infrastructure contractor who has completed numerous projects in southern Ontario. Grascan has the ability to tender projects worth over $300 million and is currently working on a $150-million project. It has also been invited to tender projects for public sector firms such as Metrolinx, CN Railway, CP Rail, Toronto Waterfront Redevelopment Corporation, GTAA, York Region and the City of Toronto. www.grascan.com
5. Davies Smith Developments
- Opened in the late 1990s, Toronto
- 35 employees
- 60 per cent residential, 30 per cent construction management, 10 per cent trade contracting
- Works in: residential multi-unit, contract management, demolition, design/build, general contracting; concrete, formwork, rebar
- $50 million
Davies Smith Developments has developed and built many award-winning condominium towers that have redefined the landscape of the Greater Toronto Area and southern Ontario. Davies Smith also managed the Distillery District for Gooderham & Worts resulting in the creation of three co-operative condominium buildings: 70 Mill Street, 80 Mill Street and 39 Parliament. www.davies-smith.com
Print this page