Walsh Canada part of team building Etobicoke hospital expansion
March 29, 2016 by On-Site Magazine
Etobicoke Healthcare Partnership is the preferred proponent to design, build, finance and maintain the new Etobicoke General Hospital Phase 1 Patient Tower Project under an AFP model
Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and William Osler Health System (Osler) selected Etobicoke Healthcare Partnership after extensive evaluations following an open, fair and competitive request-for-proposals process that began in May 2015.
The Etobicoke Healthcare Partnership team includes:
- Developer: Axium Infrastructure Canada and DIF Infra 4 Canada Ltd.
- Constructor: Walsh Canada
- Architect: HDR Architecture Associates Inc.
- Financial Advisor: Brookfield Securities LP
- Facility Manager: Cofely Services Inc.
The Phase 1 Patient Tower Project, involving the construction of a new four-storey wing, will add approximately 250,000 square feet of space to the existing facility and house the services most urgently needed by the Etobicoke community.
Project features include:
- a larger, state-of-the-art emergency department to better meet the community’s need for high-quality emergency care
- an ICU/CCU nearly four times larger than the current space
- larger patient rooms filled with natural light that provide privacy and space to accommodate family members
- a maternal newborn unit with birthing suites and a specialized Level II nursery for patients with non-life-threatening complications
- an ambulatory procedures unit featuring procedure/operating rooms, pre- and post-op preparation and recovery areas and dedicated clinic spaces, including a respiratory clinic
The Phase 1 Patient Tower Project will focus on sustainable design and construction with the goal of achieving Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Silver certification.
The Etobicoke General Hospital Phase 1 Patient Tower project is one of 24 health-care projects currently being managed by IO. Thirty-five hospital projects have been completed using the AFP model as of December 31, 2015.
IO and Osler will now work to finalize contract details with Etobicoke Healthcare Partnership. The project is expected to reach commercial close and financial close in May 2016. The contract cost will be announced publicly following financial close and construction is scheduled to begin shortly thereafter.