5 Companies invited to bid on University of Ottawa Heart Institute redevelopment project
March 24, 2014 by STAFF REPORT
Infrastructure Ontario and the University of Ottawa Heart Institute will release a request for proposals to companies pre-qualified to build and finance the Heart Institute Cardiac Life Support Services redevelopment project.
A request for qualifications process that began in September 2013 pre-qualified the following companies with the construction and financial capacity to undertake a project of this size and complexity:
- Bondfield Construction Co. Ltd.
- EllisDon Capital Inc.
- M. Sullivan & Son Ltd.
- PCL Constructors Canada Inc.
- Pomerleau Inc.
The University of Ottawa Heart Institute is an academic health science centre dedicated to understanding, treating and preventing heart disease. The project will expand the facility to accommodate the changing needs of the area resulting from shifting demographics and technological advancements, and will improve access to high quality specialized cardiac services for residents in the Champlain Local Health Integration Network region.
New construction at the facility includes:
- Five floors of clinical and in-patient services
- Expanding support services such as biomedical engineering and data services
- Adding about 146,000 sq. ft. of space, about 100,000 of which will house life support services such as cardiac catheterization, cardiac surgery and the cardiac surgery intensive care unit
Redevelopment work at the existing facility includes:
- Renovating about 60,000 sq. ft. of space
- Providing support services for the heart catheterization/electrophysiology suite, surgical suite and the cardiac intensive care unit
- Relocating the cardiac imaging suite
Once submissions to the request for proposals are received and evaluated, the successful project team is expected to be selected and announced in fall 2014. Construction is expected to begin shortly after.
Print this page