PCL wins $135M University of Ottawa redevelopment contract
By STAFF REPORTConstruction Infrastructure
The University of Ottawa Heart Institute and Infrastructure Ontario have chosen PCL Constructors Canada Inc. to build and finance the Cardiac Life Support Services redevelopment project. PCL will begin to mobilize on-site immediately.
The project will expand the facility to accommodate the needs of the surrounding community, as well as improve technological advancements to ensure continued access to high-quality, specialized cardiac services for residents in the Champlain Local Health Integration Network region.
New construction at the facility will:
- Add four floors of state-of-the-art clinical and in-patient services
- Expand support services, such as biomedical engineering and information management services
- Add about 146,000 sq. ft. of space, some of which will house life support services, such as cardiac catheterization, cardiac surgery and the cardiac surgery intensive care unit
Redevelopment work at the existing facility will:
- Include renovation of approximately 60,000 sq. ft. of space
- Provide support services for the heart catheterization/electrophysiology suite, surgical suite and the cardiac intensive care unit
- Relocate and expand the cardiac imaging suite
At the peak of construction there will be roughly 150 workers on site. PCL estimates that about 90 to 95 per cent of the labour for the project will come from the Ottawa area.