Construction-related federal budget highlights
March 23, 2016 By On-Site MagazineAsphalt
- $60 billion plus in new federal infrastructure investments in two phases, while accelerating portions of the existing Building Canada Fund.
- commits unused portions of the previous Building Canada Fund to the Gas Tax Fund over the next two years.
- $3.4 billion in investments for federal infrastructure assets
- $2 billion over three years starting this fiscal year for a new post-secondary institution investment fund.
- $3.4 billion over 3 years to upgrade and improve public transit systems across Canada;
- $5 billion over 5 years for investments in water, wastewater and green infrastructure projects across Canada; and
- $3.4 billion over 5 years for social infrastructure spending on social housing, early learning and child care, cultural and recreational infrastructure, and community care facilities.
- $125 million in 2016-17 for Labour Market Development Agreements (LMDA) and an additional $50 million in 2016-17 for Canada Job Fund Agreements.
- $2.24 billion over five years to improve on reserve water and wastewater infrastructure and waste management.
- $255 million over two years to the First Nations Infrastructure Fund to support investments such as roads, bridges, energy systems and physical infrastructure to mitigate the effects of natural disasters.
- expanding access to EI for new entrants, reducing wait times for receiving EI, simplifying job search requirements, and extending EI regular benefits in certain areas.
- proposed$85.4 million over five years that is designated to support union-based apprenticeship training.