Aecon consortium closes $2.5B contract to construct Finch West LRT
By Jillian MorganConstruction Financing
TORONTO—Mosaic Transit Group, comprised of Aecon, ACS Infrastructure Canada and CRH Canada Group, has signed a $2.5 billion contract to construct the Finch West Light Rail Transit (LRT) project in Toronto.
The contract includes $1.2 billion of construction costs. Mosaic’s proposal aims to deliver the LRT by 2023.
Members of the Mosaic Transit Group include:
- Applicant lead: ACS Infrastructure Canada, Aecon Concessions – a division of Aecon Construction Group – and CRH Canada Group.
- Construction: Aecon Infrastructure and Management, Dragados Canada and Dufferin Construction Company – a division of CRH Canada Group.
- Design: Arup Canada, Dillon Consulting Limited, DPM Energy, DTAH, Perkins + Will Canada and Sener SES Canada.
- Maintenance: ACS Infrastructure Canada and Aecon O&M – a division of Aecon Construction Group.
- Financial advisor: RBC Dominion Securities.
The consortium, awarded in April, will be responsible to design, build, finance and maintain the 11-kilometre, 18-stop LRT.
Construction is expected to begin in fall 2018. At the peak of the project, Mosaic estimates there will be 600 workers on-site, and 85 per cent of labour will come from the Greater Toronto Area.
The LRT will remain publicly owned, and the Toronto Transit Commission will operate it under a separate agreement with the city.
The project consists of a terminal stop at Humber College, 16 surface stops and an underground interchange station at Keele Street that connects with the Finch West Subway Station on the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension.
A maintenance and storage facility will be constructed for the light rail vehicles and other required components, such as track works, signalling, communications, and public realm infrastructure.
Print this page