$87M Vaughan Mills expansion and redevelopment project begins
June 26, 2013 by Staff Report
Construction has begun on Vaughan Mills’ $87-million redevelopment and expansion project.
Once completed, Vaughan Mills will feature 19 major tenants and 250 stores, creating an unprecedented retail mix in Canada within 118,000 m2 (1.27-million ft2) of retail space.
The east side of the property will feature 18,500 m2 (200,000 ft2) in gross leasable area to accommodate 50 new retailers and the centre’s interior and exterior architectural appeal will be enhanced.
“Once unveiled in 2014, this project will mark our 10-year anniversary; a significant milestone for our centre and an exciting way to celebrate,” says Stephen Gascoine, general manager, Vaughan Mills. “This development will offer our customers even more excitement, more select brands, more outlet shopping and more entertainment experiences…”
· The expansion area will introduce 50 new retail concepts and three new major tenants (including LEGOLAND® Discovery Centre – now open).
· A dynamic Event Court featuring custom light pendants and moveable lounge seating.
· A Tech Court featuring free Wi-Fi coverage and comfortable seating for group collaboration and independent surfing while, underfoot, a QR Code flooring treatment punctuates this progressive court.
· A distinctive new entrance leading to the new Sport Neighbourhood, 4A, depicting an upscale Country Club feel.
“The City of Vaughan welcomes this expansion of Vaughan Mills to meet the needs of our growing and diverse community,” said Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua. “We are building a great City in Vaughan and our strong business community contributes to our continued success and outstanding quality of life. This investment in Vaughan Mills is an investment in the City and will contribute to our overriding goal to take Vaughan to the next level.”
Existing Property Redevelopment Highlights:
· Several new brands strengthening each Neighbourhood’s retail mix.
· Neighbourhoods and Transition Courts: renovations include a large, illuminated, aged copper and blue steel fish pendant light in Lakes Neighbourhood 1 and a cylinder sculpture depicting the strength of community in Small Towns Neighbourhood 4.
· Eco-Friendly Construction: Vaughan Mills is proud to participate in the ‘Hoarding for Humanity’ program, a Habitat for Humanity initiative offering a comprehensive recycling program with guaranteed, sustainable accountability. Dry-wall hoarding used on the interior of the shopping centre during these renovations will be given a second life through this program to positively impact our environment.
· Overall parking capacity will be maintained at 6,515 stalls throughout the property.
· A redesigned Food Court will expand service capacity in the 1,000-seat floor plan and allow for improved traffic flow through a new central Speed-Lane feature. A full coverage, free Wi-Fi hot-spot, will enhance the dining experience. This will be the final phase to the project to be completed in 2015.
Print this page