On-Site Magazine
News

Champlain Bridge project to be finished by December


Print this page

March 1, 2018 by Jillian Morgan

The New Champlain Bridge project

The New Champlain Bridge project

Montreal, Que.’s new Champlain Bridge, which will connect Nuns’ Island and Brossard, is underway, with 65 per cent of work completed since fall 2017. The remaining 35 per cent is expected to be complete by December 2018.

Infrastructure Canada participated in the first construction update of 2018 with its private partner, Signature on the St. Lawrence (SSL), and the Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI), which is responsible for managing the existing Champlain Bridge.

“I am satisfied with the progress of the work since last fall and happy to see that the new Champlain Bridge is taking form more and more each day in plain sight of Montrealers,” said Amarjeet Sohi, minister of infrastructure and communities.

”Our priority since the outset of the project has been to deliver a quality bridge in a timely manner without compromising the health and safety of workers and users.”

Erection of the main span, which crosses St. Lawrence Seaway, is progressing with the first segment supported by cables currently being installed. Additionally, 17 of the 37 piers caps are erected and more than 100 of the 600 box-girder segments have been installed.

In order to meet the construction goals in 2018, SSL has put in place additional measures, including an increased work force on site and extra shifts. The federal government has also asked JCCBI to allow the current bridge to remain open to traffic until summer 2019.

SOURCE: INFRASTRUCTURE CANADA


Print this page



Related




Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*