RFQ issued for Macdonald Block Reconstruction Project
By Corinne LyndsInfrastructure government Government of Ontario infrastructure Macdonald Block reconstruction
TORONTO – Infrastructure Ontario (IO) has issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for interested parties to submit their qualifications to design, build, finance and maintain the Macdonald Block Complex.
The project will see the reconstruction of the 45-year old Macdonald Block Complex, the administrative hub of the Ontario government’s operations. The complex has never undergone a major renovation and its core systems, including electrical, water, cooling and heating, have reached the end of their useful life and must now be replaced.
“This is an important step in delivering the project that, when completed, will reduce the cost of government operations, resulting in long-term cost savings for Ontarians,” said Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure.
IO and the Ministry of Infrastructure are working together to deliver the reconstructed Macdonald Block Complex, which will remain publicly owned.
The RFQ is the first step in the procurement process to select a team to deliver the project. IO will evaluate submissions to prequalify project teams with the design and construction experience, as well as the qualified personnel and financial capacity, to deliver a project of this scope and complexity. Teams that qualify will be invited to respond to a request for proposals in early 2018. Interested companies must register with merx.com to download the RFQ.
In advance of issuing the request for qualifications, IO contracted Adamson Associates Architects as the planning, design and compliance (PDC) team for the project. The PDC team establishes the guidelines and performance requirements the successful reconstruction team must meet when preparing their submissions for the project. Adamson Associates Architects will also monitor construction progress and provide coordination and oversight during the reconstruction, commissioning and completion of the project.
“Infrastructure Ontario is proud to play a role in delivering an efficient, accessible and environmentally responsible workplace that will continue to serve as a critical hub of Ontario government operations for decades to come,” Ehren Cory, president and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario.
- The Macdonald Block Complex includes the Macdonald Block Podium, and the Hearst, Hepburn, Mowat and Ferguson towers.
- An independent, third-party expert panel concluded that the extensive reconstruction is needed.
- The reconstruction of the Macdonald Block Complex project will reduce the cost of government operations and help the province meet its greenhouse gas reduction targets.
- The project is being delivered using IO’s Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects.
- Projects that are delivered using IO’s AFP model have a track record of being 96 per cent on budget and 73 per cent on time or within one month of the scheduled substantial completion date.
SOURCE Infrastructure Ontario