On-Site Magazine
News

Are safety helmets going to replace hardhats on Canadian job sites?

Print this page

July 21, 2017 by Corinne Lynds

SOURCE Bloomberg BNA

Bloomberg BNA says contractors in the US are ditching hardhats for a safer option – helmets. Will Canadians follow suit?

For 40-plus years the design of construction hard hats hasn’t changed much—a brimmed shell attached to a suspended, adjustable headband.

But that’s changing as designs, first used in mountain climbing and other sports helmets, are adapted for construction workers.

The introduction of the helmets—don’t call them hard hats—is driven by the belief that helmets provide better side impact protection than traditional hard hats and won’t tumble away if a worker falls, company safety officials told Bloomberg BNA.

To read the full article visit: https://www.bna.com/safety-helmets-replacing-n73014461149/

Print this page

Related

6 Comments » for Are safety helmets going to replace hardhats on Canadian job sites?
  1. Peter says:

I am a general contractor active in the Greater Toronto Area. I can assure you that only a very small percentage of non-union workers – but also union workers- will like or agree to wearing helmets. We have some very hot days in Toronto during the summer and it will be a nuisance to be wearing a helmet while framing a house. I personally regard this as an overkill…. in this case we have office bureaucrats and politicians deciding about conditions on the construction site. And please: don’t rush to even think of saying to me that I don’t care for the safety of my workers.

• Corinne Lynds says:

Peter, I’m pretty sure the majority of contractors will agree with you on this one. I wonder if there are any contractors out there wearing the new helmets that can comment on the heat/comfort factor?

• Sylvain Lefebvre says:

The Vancouver Harbour has purchase over 10,000 of the Rocky hat made by Dynamic in Canada, and Vancouver weather in summer is as hot as Toronto during the season. Nobody complain about heat and warm wearing this helmet. Dynamic has received repeat orders since the first purchase from Vancouver Harbour.

• Brad says:

I honestly do see how you can say that Vancouver and Toronto summers are comparable, they are not.

When you say “The Vancouver Harbour” do you mean Port of Vancouver? Because they don’t actually do any construction work and 10k hard hats for them sounds a bit off.

2. Tony Waters says:

However, helmets may be nice to wear with our Canadian winters. Also the tower erector crews have been wearing helmets for years with no complaints, one less thing to worry about falling off and having a distraction.

3. Donald j oborowsky says:

I have been saying for years we need a change in the design of the helmets. The ones we have are hot and heavy total overkill the ones shown in the picture are more of the same. I agree with Peter. Perhaps people like ourselves that wear them should design them. Regards Donald